Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Bath Time

I can't believe my little one is almost two months, he's growing so fast!  These pictures were taken at about 6.5 weeks old.  We've been trying to get Tal on somewhat of a schedule and our new nightly routine involves a bath- Talmage LOVES them.  Usually he takes a bath with me and it's my favorite because he gets really snuggly and relaxed before bed time.  This is Tally's first bath with Braedon.  These pictures all probably look the same to everyone, but to me and Braed every face is different (and of course SO cute) haha.  



Tally is starting to smile a little and it's our favorite thing!  I can't wait till it's a full on smile and actually in response to one of us.  He's always pretty happy after nap time and during his baths.  


Look at that pose! He loves to just float and stretch out his back!  

^^ Tooting?  What??  It wasn't me! ^^


Such a little bug.  I love this photo because this is just Tally's normal face- his eyes are so big that he kind of just looks shocked all the time, it's hilarious.  The little man has been a champ and started sleeping a little bit longer this week.  He's been doing 4-6 hour stretches at night and his mamma is so happy about it!  I usually feed him between 10 or 11pm and he falls asleep while eating, then he wakes up about 5 1/2 hours later to eat again (if it's a good night).  However, after that 3 am feed he's usually pretty restless and I've noticed that's when he has the most gas! haha.  So funny but also sad.  If he won't settle down back to sleep I usually just pull him into bed with me and once we start snuggling he's out for another 4 hours or so.  I know I'm probably creating a "bad habit", but in the grand scheme of things I figure I won't get to snuggle my baby forever and I'll take it while I can get it! Anyone have any great tips on how to get him to fall back asleep?  

I'm trying not to get too hung up on the baby wise schedule, but having a little more structure has been really good for us (at least for me so that I can actually plan my day). Another book I just started that I've been loving called Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, has been super helpful.  It talks about wake-time and when to put your babe down.  This probably seems self explanatory but I feel like Braedon and I were missing his "window" and putting him down after too much wake-time.  He was overtired and therefore fussy, and taking longer to fall asleep. The book talks about signs that your baby is tired and if he gets to the "fussy" point, you've probably kept him up too long. We've been trying a few things from that book for the past week and he finally caught on Sunday night which is when he started sleeping better.  I've learned that Tally can really only handle being awake for around 45 minutes now, so after about 30 minutes of wake time we swaddle him, give him his binky, and I like to sit in the rocking chair and sing for a little before setting him down.  He still has at least one nap during the day that he fusses through though, so it's definitely a work in progress! 

The most helpful thing I've researched on sleep has actually been a video that I watched called Baby It's Bedtime.  I came across their Instagram and decided a video would be easier for me to get through than a whole book.  Plus, reading books about sleep were making ME soooo sleepy!!  haha.  I loved the Baby It's Bedtime video because she went through a whole day with her baby and what it should look like.  She also talks about the type of sleep your baby is getting, and a schedule based on your baby's temperament.  

Before having Tally I thought I'd be able to let my baby "cry it out", but since having him I feel like my parenting views have really changed.  I never would have thought that I'd allow "co-sleeping", or have my baby in our room for very long, but I'm actually a lot happier with him near us- and luckily so is Braedon!  There are so many parenting philosophies and opinions out there that can be really confusing.  I'll read something and think, "Is that how I should be doing it??" There is a lot of stress that can come from this new responsibility but right now we are just trying to do our best and what FEELS RIGHT (for us anyways). We are definitely learning as we go, and so far we honestly couldn't be happier.   

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS