Monday, April 7, 2014

Our New Apartment + Yellow Curry

We are finally (almost) moved into our new apartment!!  I'm just in the very fun stages of organizing and deciding where to put all of our stuff.  How can two people have so much stuff??  I swear I've donated about three garbage bags full of things we don't need anymore and the stuff just keeps coming!  

On a side note, I feel like I need to re-write all of my thank you letters for my wedding gifts.  All of our kitchen gear was in storage while we lived at my Dad's and it was so fun unpacking!  I kept saying, "Mom who got me this?? It's so cute!"  I've found things I haven't even used yet.  Oh ya, and I have about 37 mixing bowls.  So if you ever need one....

P.S. thanks Mom for helping me put together my kitchen.  Don't know what I'd do with out you

P.S.S. thanks family for helping us move our storage units!  Especially Sara and Brent who let us use their truck.  They bought a truck cause they love helping people move so much- so anyone moving let me know and I'll just give you guys their number!  (don't worry Sar I'm kidding)

When we moved into our first apartment I made us a little Mexican fiesta for our first meal.  I decided to stick with the "international foods" tradition and went with Thai Yellow Curry for the "first meal" celebration.  To say it was a hit would be an understatement.  Braedon told me it was the most legit curry he'd had since his mission and he was having flash backs to the curry dishes he ate in Siem Reap.  I think it was the best compliment of my cooking to date!  

*I modified a few of the ingredients/ directions and took out the peas and the cashews* 


Ingredients:

2 large chicken breasts cut into cubes

4 tablespoons yellow curry paste (I only used 3- the recipe said add to taste. I thought it was spicy but Braedon didn't feel a thing)

2 (13.5 oz) cans coconut milk

1/2 cup bamboo shoot- drained (you can get this at Walmart)

1 cup water

1 cup crushed pineapple-drained

1/2 cup chopped carrot (I just used two large carrots)

5-8 basil leaves

4-6 cups steamed jasmine rice


I honestly think the yellow curry paste made all the difference.  I've made curry recipes before using several store bought spices and it just isn't the same as the "real deal".  I would recommend hitting up your nearest Asian market.  I think I could get lost for a few hours there....

Also, I think I have enough curry paste to last me for three years and it was only like three dollars.  Get ready for some more curry recipes.  





Directions: 

1. Add the coconut milk and the curry paste to a large pan. Start with half of the curry paste if you are unsure.  Heat until boiling

2.  Add the cubed chicken and potatoes and continue to boil

3.  Once the chicken is about 1/2 way done add the carrots and cook until the carrots are tender

4.  Add basil, pineapple, and bamboo shoots and cook 2 more minutes

5.  Add water.  We like our curry a little thicker so I only added about a 1/2 cup.  

6.  Serve over rice




7. Find husband to stir while you continue unpacking (wink wink)


We used our Wok to make the curry and it made it SO easy!  A large pan will do, but we are convinced a Wok is necessary for authentic Asian food ;)

^^ I know I look scary, however, I've been moving all day, K? ^^



Hip hip hooray for a new place!  We toasted with some Martinelli's and finished off our night eating frozen yogurt at Top It and talking about how much we love Holladay. Can't wait to see what this new adventure has in store for us!   






SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS