Monday, February 3, 2014

Chocolate Souffle Fail....Sort of

Alright so I found this recipe as I was browsing Pinterest and thought it would be the perfect "after date night movie treat".  It's super easy and only takes 2 1/2 hours in the crockpot so the timing was perfect.  
Braedon would disagree that this was a fail.  He even gobbled it up for breakfast the next morning.  It was really only a half fail.  I mean how can you fail at a dessert that the ingredients include a chocolate cake mix, chocolate pudding, and chocolate chips??

It just didn't do it for me.

I'm posting it anyways in case you'd like to test it out yourself.  If you have any suggestions on how to make it better, I'm all ears.  I actually found another chocolate soufflé recipe that I'm going to try next- bonus: it doesn't involve boxed cake.  I grew up in a house full of dessert snobs...we don't even make brownies from a box. Now I feel like I'm a little (maybe too?) picky and can "taste the fake".


But still, who can go wrong with chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, and ice cream??


Ingredients: 

1 box chocolate cake mix
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
3 eggs
1 box chocolate pudding
2 cups milk (for pudding mix)
1 12 oz. bag chocolate chips
parchment paper

First line your crockpot with parchment paper, and spray the sides with cooking spray.  This will prevent the sides from burning. You can do it without the parchment paper, just watch it closely.  


 Pour your chocolate cake mix into a large mixing bowl and add 1 1/4 cup milk, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup vegetable oil.  Beat on medium speed until the batter gets nice and glossy, about 2-3 minutes.  Pour into the crockpot. 


Next, mix the pudding and 2 cups cold milk into a bowl.  Beat it until the pudding thickens, should take about 3-4 minutes.  This is where I'm not sure if things went as planned.  My pudding just sunk into the cake batter than making a second layer....oops.  


Final step, cover the top with the whole bag of those lovely chocolate chips.  Set your crockpot to low for 2 1/2 hours or until the top of the cake is set.  Enjoy!  Super easy.  

Stay tuned for when I make this recipe from Pinterest.  Instead of the crockpot you use a muffin pan, and you get these cute personal sized soufflé's.  Looks like a little more work, but I think it will pay off!

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS