Thursday, November 7, 2013

Blue Lemon's Butternut Squash Soup


This past week Braedon and I have both been sick and with the cold weather setting in, we needed some comfort food!  I looked up a few recipe's and tried my best to recreate Blue Lemon's Butternut Squash Soup.  I'll be honest, it was a lot of work, but I think it came pretty close to tasting like Blue Lemon's.  Although, it always tastes better when someone else is serving you ;). 



 After doing a little research, I learned that the flavor of the squash comes out while roasting.  While this particular recipe doesn't require you to roast your squash, I took the extra time and I think it paid off.  First your supposed to peel the squash, cut it lengthwise, then dice.  I quickly found out my knifes were in no shape for this!  I thought that maybe if I roasted the squash first, I might be able to just scoop out the squash...WRONG!  I did my best with our knifes, all the way cursing myself for not just buying a gallon of the soup at Blue Lemon.  I'm sort of surprised that with my track record this didn't end with a trip to the Emergency Room. Apparently, there are special "hard vegetable" peelers available for purchase, really wish I had one of those.  



If you can make it through this step, the rest really is smooth sailing!  Let your squash roast with a little butter (or coconut oil, or olive oil) in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.  



While your squash gets all squashy, you can go ahead and dice your onion.  I didn't care too much about getting the pieces super small because later we will puree the whole soup.  Melt the butter in a large pot and add the onion, cooking until tender, about 10 minutes.  


Peel, core, and dice your apple and pear.  At this point, you can add your spices to the pot and let it cook for about one minute.  



Once squash is done roasting, add to the pot.  Continue adding the apple, pear, and chicken stock.  Bring to a boil, once it reaching boiling point turn your heat down and let simmer for 30 minutes.  Add half and half, puree the soup and serve! You can keep adding chicken stock depending on how thick you like your soup. This recipe should serve 6-8, although I feel like we'll have leftovers for days!  It took be about 2 and half hours from start to finish. Yikes!  Although, I might have been talking to my best friend Micah on the phone of, Give A Little Love, which could have slowed the process ;).   


Ingredients

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced
1 onion, diced
2 large butternut squashes, peeled, halved lengthwise and seeds removed, diced into 1-inch cubes
1 pear, skinned, seeded and quartered
1 tsp allspice
1/2 cup brown sugar (or to taste)
2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp ginger
2-3 quarts chicken stock
1 cup half and half 
Salt and pepper to taste
 photo signature_zps5a4ae0f5.jpg
SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS